About the Chapter
The Gamma Phi Chapter at the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, Indiana was the 93rd chartered chapter in Sigma Tau Gamma, chartering on May 19, 1973. Over 490 men have been initiated into the Gamma Phi Chapter since its inception.
- First fraternity at USI to establish a “dry rush” – 1986
- First fraternity to build a Chapter House on campus (currently the USI Foundation Office at 7601 Clarke Lane) – 1984
- National Chapter Leadership Award – 1991, 2013 & 2014
- 2 Brothers appointed by Indiana Governor as Student Trustees:
Greg Hall (’84) 1981- 1983
Eric Williams (’89) 1985- 1987
- 10 Brothers elected as Presidents/Vice Presidents of the Student Government Association at USI
- 11 Brothers crowned USI Homecoming King
- USI Homecoming School Spirit Award – 2015, 2016 & 2017
- Gamma Phi Beta Lip Sync Champions – 2012, 2013 & 2016
- Eagle Grand Prix Bike Race Champions – 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981 & 1987
- Six Alumni Brothers recipient of the USI Alumni Service Award
- USI Distinguished Alumni Award:
2002- Brad Ellsworth (’81), US Congress
2007- Honorable Judge Brett Niemier (’81)
2011- Eric Williams (’89), Vanderburgh Co. Sherriff
- Numerous Intramural Sports Championships
- Numerous Accolades for Outstanding Community Service
- Edward H. McCune Distinguished Chapter Award for a Small IFC Community – 1983, 2013, & 2017
- Ellsworth C. Dent “Man of the Year” Award Recipient – Christian Ely (’12) – 2015
Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity at the University of Southern Indiana (originally named Indiana State University – Evansville when established in 1965) began as a local fraternity Alpha Omega Tau in the fall of 1969. On September 11, 1972, Alpha Omega Tau colonized with Sigma Tau Gamma National Fraternity. On May 19, 1973, they were chartered as the Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Gamma at ISUE and excelled for many years. After a brief departure from campus in the 1990s, Sigma Tau Gamma returned to campus in 2010 and once again earned their charter on February 17, 2013. Today our chapter remains as one of the oldest fraternities on campus as we approach our 50th year of existence.
Sigma Tau Gamma has a five-decade tradition of excellence in academics, campus leadership, and athletics and boasts many prominent alumni. Our chapter continually ranks in the top five chapters nationwide each year, and we have received the highest honor (Edward H. McCune Distinguished Chapter Award) in 1983, 2013, and 2017.
Upon graduation, our brothers continue to enjoy brotherhood with our active chapter with regular alumni meetings, social outings, and annual scholarships for our undergraduate brothers. Sigma Tau Gamma is a fraternity for life.
Thanks to our generous Alumni, we are proud to offer two Scholarships to our Active Brothers.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter’s History
Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of the page. Submissions will be accepted in two ways: should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph, that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire text that needs to be added and/or revised with the new information highlighted in yellow.
This information should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, where it will be reviewed by HQ Staff. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter’s history accurately and objectively reflects the chapter, so all corrections, additions, and revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter before being submitted.