About the Chapter
The Gamma Theta Chapter at University Missouri–St. Louis in St. Louis, Missouri was established in 1968 with 33 Founding Fathers. The chapter was the first Greek organization at UMSL; with over 600 men calling the Gamma Theta Chapter home since its inception.
- Oldest Fraternity on Campus
- Brothers are involved in Accounting Club, IFC, Student Activities Budget Committee, SGA, National Leadership Society, Investment Club, Student Veterans Association, Orientation Leaders, Supplemental Instruction Leader, Tutors, Finance Club, as well as many other organizations
- Have won Greek Week three years in a row since 2014
The Gamma Theta Chapter was founded on December 14, 1968. The original founders consist of 10 men who were friends that met on Bellreive Golf Course (now UMSL). These men started the first social Greek organization at UMSL which is now known as Sigma Tau Gamma. Forty years later, the chapter still resides in the original house at 8660 Natural Bridge Road and still practices the core principles of Sig Tau.
The Gamma Theta Chapter holds several long-standing annual service events. These events allow the men to gain leadership experience, share responsibilities with brothers, and help the community.
A Chapter Fund is a restricted account from the Sigma Tau Gamma Foundation. In this case, the restriction is that the funds and earnings on the investment of the funds may be used only for a particular chapter, meaning that if you donate to your chapter’s fund, it may only be used for your chapter.
Chapter Funds may be used to:
- Award scholarships based on academic and leadership criteria
- Technology grants for purchase and upgrade of chapter computer technology
- Educational facility grants to the selected chapter
- Leadership education grants for participation in institutes, seminars, and conventions.
The Foundation manages the fund. This management includes fund accounting, investing, and preparing required reports for the Internal Revenue Service. The policy of the Foundation Board of Trustees is to involve chapter alumni association leaders in the creation of criteria, formation of program priorities and selection of grant recipients.
Submitting Changes to the Chapter’s History
Any member of the fraternity and/or chapter is welcome to submit a request to update/change/correct information listed within the chapter history portion of the page. submissions will be accepted in two ways: should a correction need to be made, please submit the entire sentence/paragraph, that needs to be updated with the correction highlighted in yellow or in a different color. If something new or updated needs to be added, please submit the entire text that needs to be added and/or revised with the new information highlighted in yellow.
This information should be submitted to email@example.com, where is will be reviewed by HQ Staff. Your submission will not be acknowledged unless it has been added to the website. It is very important that the chapter’s history accurately and objectively reflects the chapter, so all corrections, additions, and revisions should be reviewed by other members of your chapter before being submitted.